FORCES Tavern: We welcome you to The Tavern, you are welcome to browse and read, but please register to post.

More bad legislation

It doesn't matter if it is anything from trans fat, second hand smoke, home schooling or gun control - there are those who are using a numbers game and calling it science to pass legislation.

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:31 pm

I have a 500k wireless connection which is normally good enough for a video like that, but with this one, I can get only video and the audio stops after a short while.

The problem could be solved by saving it to disk and watching it after it downloads, but this one is in Quicktime and you need QT Pro to do that. One workaround is to let the whole thing play out and then get it out of your temorary internet files folder (browser cache), but some QT movies are somehow fixed so they won't play from disk even if you have QT Pro.

I suspect this might be the case here, but I'm going to try it anyway when I can leave my computer alone for an hour.

Thanks Gilster, for posting the link. Yes it is valuable even for those of us who have been to several council meetings in different towns. There are similarities but there are also important differences too. Procedures are different and so are the councilmembers. Antis are pretty much the same no matter what town you're in though.
Jim

Postby gilster » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:58 am

The Belmont ordinance has not been passed yet. The law department has it now for 'fine-tuning'.

According to their website their next meetings are Nov28. Dec 12, Dec 26 - starting at 6:30-7:30 Pacific time [depending on the structure of the meetings]

Anyone here from the San Fran area? That can go and speak up?

Latest news article on Belmont:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/ci_4720723

Important quote:
Glantz emphasized that at the state level, lobbyists hold far more sway. He recalled how when one prominent tobacco industry lobbyist would arrive at state legislative meetings, "knees started knocking." But when he came to city council chambers, council members, upon learning he was from Sacramento, would say, "What the hell are you doing here?" Glantz recalled.

Need someone that lives in/near this area.
Also, there were TC people who spoke at the meeting that weren't from the immediate area - so they get a pass and pro-smoker-rights people are suspect?

Please visit this message board - easy sign-up
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
gilster

Previous

Return to Why are we refusing to talk about the fraudulant use epidemiology, calling it "science" to promote a political agenda?